Just a 45-minute drive from Esperance Bay Holiday Park, in the heart of Cape Le Grand National Park, is Australia’s ‘luckiest’ bay.
Here you’ll find impossibly white sands, crystal clear azure waters, and even some adorable resident roos lazing on the pristine shoreline. Camping in Lucky Bay WA should be at the top of every Aussie bucket list - especially if you're planning to travel Great Ocean Drive.
Here’s everything you need to know about visiting one of WA’s most iconic beach.
How to Get to Lucky Bay Esperance
You'll find Lucky Bay situated around 60 kilometres southeast of the picturesque town of Esperance. There are two ways to get there:
- Go inland: Head out of Esperance on Merivale Road towards Cape Le Grand Road and drive through Cape Le Grand National Park until you reach a left-hand turn helpfully called Lucky Bay Road.
- Take a 4WD and head for the beach: Take the coastal 4wd track and go for a scenic 21-kilometre drive down the beach. Make sure you go slow and watch out for pedestrians and local native wildlife.
Things to do at Lucky Bay, Esperance
Whether you’re looking for native Australian wildlife, an idyllic swimming spot, or an outdoor adventure on foot, there’s plenty of things to do in Lucky Bay, Esperance.
- Get up close with Lucky Bay’s friendly wild native kangaroos and joeys. You’ll find them at the furthest end of the beach either chilling in the shade of a car, searching for freshwater puddles, or munching on plants.
- Keep your eyes peeled for migrating whales during winter. These magnificent mammals can sometimes be spotted in the deep blue waters of the Recherche Archipelago (Bay of Isles) between July and October.
- Take a bushwalk along Le Grand Coastal Trail, which links many of the park’s most unmissable beauty spots.
- Drop by Lucky Bay Brewery and sample some local craft beer.
- Swim, snorkel, fish, or surf in the bay’s incredibly clear waters.
- Go for an Esperance beach walk (or a run) along 5 kilometres of squeaky clean white sand.
What You Need to Know About Lucky Bay
- Entry fees apply to those accessing Cape Le Grand National Park by vehicle. Current prices (July 2020) are $15 per private vehicle with up to 12 occupants, with a concessionary price of $8. Please visit the Parks WA website for full details.
- Be kind to the kangaroos. While generally placid, friendly, and approachable animals, they still don’t enjoy being pestered so please keep a mindful and respectful distance and supervise children at all times.
- Do your bit to keep Lucky Bay clean and pristine by avoiding littering and taking home what you bring with you.
Where To Stay near Lucky Bay
Esperance Holiday Units
The charming town of Esperance, just over seven hours’ drive from Perth, is the perfect spot to base yourself while you explore all that southern WA has to offer. Its central location places you within easy driving distance of the area’s most prized beauty spots, from the Recherche Archipelago to the Great Ocean Road Drive and, of course, Lucky Bay itself.
Situated right on the Esperance beachfront, Esperance Bay Holiday Park is located less than 65 kilometres (or a 50-minute drive) from Lucky Bay. A variety of flexible accommodation options are available for couples, families, and groups keen to make the most of all that Esperance and the surrounding area has to offer. Choose from one-bedroom holiday units or take the whole family and check-in at a two-bedroom chalet. Holiday unit and chalet amenities provide the perfect combination of luxury and adventure and include:
- Fully self-contained kitchens
- A lounge area with a television
- A master bedroom with a large queen bed
- Reverse cycle air-conditioning in the lounge and dining areas
- Spacious bathrooms with shower, WC, and basin
Esperance Caravan & Camping Sites
For adventure seekers and outdoor enthusiasts, caravan and camping sites are available at the centrally located Esperance Bay Holiday Park. Choose from powered caravan sites that cater for up to 24-foot caravan and motor homes, on either hardstand or grassed ground. Unpowered tent sites on sheltered grassed areas are also available and offer parking for one vehicle.
As well as enjoying convenient access to Lucky Bay, Esperance, and Cape Le Grand National Park, campers and caravaners at Esperance Bay will have access to:
- Pet-friendly accommodation
- A camp kitchen
- Barbecue facilities
- On-site laundry facilities
- A children’s playground
- Free parking
- Ablution amenities blocks
Looking for your next off-road adventure? These locations will leave you buzzing to take your 4WD on an adventure along WA’s coast and forests »Read
WA is home to some of the best diving spots in Australia with most major cities both metro & rural close to the beach. Find scuba diving spots in WA today »Read